Jack Doohan is the epitome of the laidback Aussie persona. He is incredibly personable and inquisitive, and he always makes an effort to give whoever he is speaking to his undivided attention – even when he is about to board a plane for a long-haul flight back home to Australia. We have watched Jack build a home away from home wherever he goes, and we count ourselves among those luckiest to share our home at the BWT Alpine F1 Team with him. This is Jack’s second year as a member of the Alpine Academy and his visits to the factory feel like the most heartfelt family reunions – no matter how long he has been away.
We caught up with Jack at the airport for the first leg of his journey to Melbourne to give you the inside scoop on BWT Alpine F1 Team’s Reserve Driver. Here are 14 things you didn’t know about number 14.
1. One recommendation to anyone visiting Australia? I think getting an Airbnb or staying somewhere along the beach and living the board shorts and cafe relaxing lifestyle. Where the vibe is where you can go into a cafe and get food and boardies. That sort of relaxed, Aussie lifestyle that you wouldn’t get in Melbourne or the major cities.
2. How many languages can you speak and what are they? Three languages. I’m fluent in sarcasm, English and Aussie bogan.
3. Favourite karaoke song? Lose Yourself by Eminem
4. Favourite movie/ tv show? My favourite film at the moment is Creed 3 and my favourite TV show is Outer Banks on Netflix.
5. You can invite 3 people to dinner, alive or dead - who are you inviting? Muhammed Ali, Warren Buffett, and Ayrton Senna.
6. Favourite cheat meal? Penne pomodoro or a good chicken schnitzel.
7. Are there any causes that are important to you? Mental health is something I want to support more widely through my brand. I want the phrase "Doohan Ok" to normalise reaching out for support and raise awareness for it. I also want to do more philanthropy work to help raise money for access to food and clean water in Africa.
8. What do you think is your best personality trait? What you see is what you get. I try and really be myself in all circumstances and embrace my natural character. I'm not trying to be someone I'm not.
9. What new city do you want to race in? I’m torn between New York and Tokyo but the street culture in Japan is so cool, I’d love to race in Tokyo.
10. Are you a texter or a caller, or FaceTimer? All three to be honest. My phone is on do not disturb most of the time though, so I sometimes forget to respond to text messages, but I will always pickup when someone calls.
11. Something you think fans would be surprised to learn about you? In school I really enjoyed art, I’m quite good at drawing.
12. Favourite song? Nathan (varner road) by Fred again.
13. What do you miss most about Australia when you’re not here? The surf, my family and my dog, Niko. He’s a German Shepherd and we’re also going to get two more German Shepherds in August or September.
14. If you could pick a teammate from all drivers, past and present, who would you want to race alongside? One of my best mates that I grew up karting with: Broc Feeney.
Catch Jack racing in Round 3 of the FIA Formula 2 Championship this weekend for his first ever drive at Melbourne’s Albert Park. The Sprint Race will take place on Saturday, April 1 at 3:20am UTC and the Feature Race will take place on Sunday, April 2 at 01:35am UTC. Keep an eye out for car 14 and join us in supporting Jack for the remaining 12 Rounds of the 2023 FIA Formula 2 season.